You should be familiar with email marketing campaigns, whether you are trying to improve sales, increase your leads, or increase your interaction with customers.
According to the Direct Marketing Institute's 2019 report; Email Marketing delivers an ROI of £42 per £1 (or $52 per $1 spent starting 8-20-2021), and it's not just about increasing revenue, successful marketing campaigns convert leads into permanent customers, build differentiation for your brand, and increase website traffic.
We will learn what email marketing is, what its benefits are, and how it balances with other marketing methods.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is a form of direct marketing that involves interacting with customers and potential customers by email.
Unlike other forms of marketing, email marketing is a subscription method, where the email addresses in the recipient list are for people who have previously signed up to receive your promotional content. Marketing emails have two major objectives: promotion or reporting.
Informational emails aim to educate customers about your brand, its business, and your products and services and include:
- Welcome messages: Thank the recipient for subscribing to your mailing list, and maybe part of an email chain designed to convert the reader into a customer.
- Newsletters: Inform the recipient of your company's latest services, products, news, and updates.
- Important corporate messages: Inform the recipient of important changes to the brand, such as a change of CEO or an acquisition.
- Gift messages: Offer the recipient free content, such as e-books, videos, and podcasts.
Promotional emails aim to sell products and services to customers and include:
- Offer messages: offer a discount to customers or announce upcoming offers.
- Special Events Messages: Offers a special deal to customers in celebration of a special event, such as a mailing list's anniversary.
- New product or service messages: Inform customers about new products.
- Abandoned cart reminders: These are sales promotion emails that are sent to the recipient after neglecting the cart items for a period ranging between 24-72 hours, and reminding them to complete the purchase process. Many marketers use both types of media and promotional messages in their email marketing campaigns. A single email has both informational and promotional content. For many newsletters, for example (informational content) a CTA button takes the customer to the company's store (marketing content).
13 Advantages of Email Marketing
Marketers have been using email marketing to drive sales since 1978 when Gary Thuerk sent the first marketing email to Digital Equipment Corp customers and generated $13,000,000 in sales of the company's new product, despite only messaging about 400 people, but you won't get all of your campaigns Email marketing is this type of success, but email marketing still has many advantages, here are 13 advantages, including:
1. The campaign cost is low
Marketing has historically cost companies huge amounts of money, on billboards, TV ads, and attractive posters. Email marketing is inexpensive, as you only need a computer, some time, and an email campaign marketing system, so its cost for an average company ranges between $9 and $1,000 per month. Email marketing revenue is significant considering the low cost.
2. Reach an interactive audience
Some marketing tactics, such as social media marketing and billboard marketing, target potential customers who don't know your brand; As email marketing differs from these methods, customers have to register on your website to add them to the mailing list.
Their prior consent to receive your marketing messages means they are an engaged audience with a strong interest in your brand and your products and services, but what is the point of that? It is easy to convert an engaged audience into customers, as they will not join the mailing list if they are not already prepared customers. Email marketing is very effective.
It takes advantage of a platform that people interact with, and according to Statistical, email uses about 4.
3. Create custom campaigns
Imagine that while checking your inbox, you found a message from a first company that said, “Hello, we launched a new black tea product,” and, you received a promotional message from another company that said,
“Hello (your name), we have launched a new black tea product”; Which of the two companies would you like to buy? According to a Lifecycle Marketing study of over 7 billion emails, people are 50% more likely to open an email if the address is personalized.
The open rate for non-personalized emails was 14.1% while those with a name were 21.
2%, email marketing is ideal for personalization; You can address marketing emails to your customers by name, which creates a personal connection and makes your customers feel valued as individuals, and this communication builds long-term loyalty and audience loyalty is important to the prosperity of your company, where a 5% increase in customer retention can increase your profits by up to 25% %.
4. Generate an interest leads
In the Pipedrive State of Sales 2020-2021 report, 51% of respondents rated lead generation as the biggest challenge for sales reps.
Of course, it is important to look at other methods of lead generation, including email marketing; Email marketing generates high-level leads for your brand.
You can attract leads to your mailing list by giving them a lead magnet; A customer magnet is something that you offer to a potential customer for them joining the mailing list. Many forms of content can be offered as a customer magnet, such as:
- An electronic book.
- Free products.
- Free trial (if you sell an engagement-based program or service).
- Technical documents.
- Free advice or advice.
- Discounts and promotions.
Email marketing allows you to attract potential customers in multiple ways, by sorting them into groups or demographics; Sorting is dividing the mailing list into groups and sending emails specific to each group.
For example, you can divide the mailing list into 3 groups of customers by location, in Canada, the United States, and Mexico, and then direct offers based on the site of each group, as sorting helps you to Take care of customers personally, increases the likelihood of selling to each customer because you build a deeper relationship with them.
5. Increase revenue with calls to action CTA
Email marketing is not just about generating and engaging with leads. It is also an excellent platform to close sales.
CTAs are the best way to close sales using email. A CTA directs your audience to take the first steps in finalizing the purchase; Calls to action are the climax of the email, as the rest of the content is built to guide the recipient.
If you're writing an anniversary email, for example, start with a hello, like, "Hello (name), Happy Anniversary!", then display a message: “We just wanted to thank you, give you a 10% off your next order,” then call for a CTA: “Click here to get your voucher for a 10% off.”
6. Building brand recognition
What is the first brand that comes to your mind when you mention “social media”? Although there are hundreds of social media platforms online, you often thought of easy-to-recognize brands, such as Facebook and Twitter.
Great for building a distinction for your brand among the recipients of your emails, and you can create an identity for your brand, this identity identifies the main features of your brand such as special graphics, styles, and patterns, making it easy to distinguish, and when the customer remembers your brand preference.
How to Build Differentiation for Your Brand in Email Marketing? You can use:
- A specific set of colors, fonts, and design elements (such as page headers) in all messages.
- A set of templates to match your brand's visual messages.
- A title in an appropriate style, such as "Hello (noun), we wanted to show you..." or "(Name):......".
- A harmonious design with your website or the branding of your products.
- Custom email signature.
7. You can use A/B tests to improve your marketing
Data tells you what works for your audience and what to avoid. Data-driven marketing campaigns maximize the reach of your promotions.
Email marketing is a data-driven approach that allows you to evaluate the success of your emails with A/B tests; A/B tests also make it possible to evaluate the success of an email containing a new tactic relative to a previous one from the same campaign.
A/B tests are mainly used to determine the effectiveness of a new promotional tactic with your audience before it is incorporated into your usual email marketing plans. An excellent A/B test to check:
- New template.
- A new call to action.
- new design.
- New ways of writing.
- new titles.
A/B testing is an advantage for email marketing because it identifies tried-and-true strategies, A/B testing also improves ROI, as research shows that brands using A/B testing have an ROI of $48 for every $1, which is higher than the average return on investment of $42 per $1.
8. Data collection and assessments with questionnaires
Email marketing is an excellent way to collect data, as you can send out a survey to your most loyal customers and thus get valuable data, such as
- Why do they prefer your brand or products?
- Why join your email marketing list?
- Who are they? (age, gender, country, income level, occupation, and interests).
After you collect this data, define your target audience and tailor your next marketing campaigns to that audience.
9. Customer Inform
Email marketing helps you notify your customers of emergency events, as it quickly relays important information directly to your customers, which is ideal for sending information about potential delays or crisis messages such as your website down From associating your brand with your philanthropy, if your brand engages in a fundraiser with a local charitable organization and donates $34,000, you can share that with a newsletter, mailing list subscribers associate your brand with your charitable work.
10. Improve website traffic
Email marketing seems like a standalone method, but it is not quite so. You can use marketing emails to drive traffic to your other marketing methods, including your website; Increased site traffic improves your earnings. The more your potential customers interact with your content, the greater the chance of a sale. To get readers to your website with emails, try:
- Add the link directly to the content of the email.
- Add a section for featured articles, where you add links to related articles.
- Add links to canonical pages (e.g. FAQ, Introduction, and Contact sections) in the bottom margin of the email.
- Add a link for each product mentioned.
The better the links, the higher the sales.
11. Campaigns are easy to manage
It is easy to manage an email marketing campaign, as you can use an automated system to plan, implement and evaluate your campaign; With many email marketing automation tools, you can create email messages with templates, perform A/B testing, send emails, and then see results in real-time. For each group, this feature gives you the ability to automate marketing without sacrificing quality.
12. Instant effect
Planning a billboard campaign takes months between designing, printing, and displaying the billboard, and if something important happens during this period, you won't be able to change it because it's too late, and this does not apply to email marketing.
where you can change messages directly with several clicks, this allows you to customize messages Email in important events, deepening your relationship with your customers and avoiding empty ads, and if your brand sells school supplies to parents of primary school children and you know that most customers rely on distance education, you can change the offers in your promotional messages to focus on distance learning tools only.
13. Results are easy to measure
Using frequently available tools, you can learn about subscribers' interaction with your emails by tracking email, and this gives you key information about the success of your emails, and you can monetize that information to improve future campaigns.
In email marketing, you can find out:
- Message open rate: The number of subscribers who have opened your email.
- CTR: The number of readers who clicked on email links.
- Sales conversion rate: The percentage of buyers after clicking on the email.
- List growth rate: The growth rate of your subscriber list.
- Email forwarding rate: The rate of subscribers who forward your email to others.
How to balance email marketing with other marketing methods
Email marketing has the highest return on investment for all other digital marketing methods, giving a return on investment of over 3500%, but this is not the only way to balance email marketing with other digital marketing methods, it is expected that the number of email users will reach 4.5 billion users. By 2025, with about 4.4 billion social media users, the number of email users is exploding at an average of 3% annually; So if you are looking for a successful marketing method in the future, choose email marketing.
The email marketing campaign is an excellent investment for your business. Email marketing improves your profits and helps you communicate with customers directly. An email is a versatile tool in marketing campaigns.
This allows you to customize and change messages at important events, and improve your campaigns thanks to A/testing B. To sum up, email marketing offers a glorious return on investment and is easy to implement thanks to email marketing software; It's just a matter of finding the right program.